Skip to main content

Daniel Ruiz Turns Tragedy Into Triumph While Helping Millions Of People Along The Way

(WNCN 11-9-15)
By: Mike Gonzalez

Danny Ruiz has been fighting for more than 30 years for equal rights for those with disabilities

Daniel Ruiz still remembers what life was like before the accident. "I was  a popular teenager that was playing football and running track and field so to suddenly have my life come to a near stop, would be life altering.

It's a hard pill to swallow at any age I would imagine. I really saw no future for me," says Ruiz. In 1983 at just 15 years old a motorcycle accident took Ruiz'ability to walk but it would not take his will to fight. However, Ruiz admits those first few months were very difficult.


 "I woke up with my bed surrounded by doctors.After hearing them talk about my injury (broken back),I asked if  I'd have kids and walk again? I was told you to have bigger things to worry about. After a major surgery and three months of rehabilitation, I was sent home in a 50-pound wheelchair with a few instructions and a pat on the back,"said Ruiz. Now even at 48 Daniel Ruiz looks like a man much younger. Perhaps it's the fight for equal rights that's helped maintain his youthful look.

Ruiz says waking up everyday with a burning desire for equal rights for all with disabilities is what keeps him going. "Though we've made tremendous strides when it comes to access for those with disabilities, there is still much that needs to be done. I'm still active as an advocate and will continue to be for as long as it may take to bring access as well change in perception of those with disabilities," said Ruiz.

To get to where he is today it's important to take a look at his journey. One that had some dark days when there was no resources, protections or even a place to turn for those in a wheelchair."There was no ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and access to buildings, schools, programs were next to nothing during the 80's.

"I mean it seemed that there was nothing for a person with a disability could do for the exception of computer programming and that just did not sit well with me. For the first 5 or 6 years, it was extremely difficult adjusting," said Ruiz.

A defining moment for Ruiz came the day his mother got a call from his principal in High School wondering why he kept leaving school in the middle of the day. "Well after few hours I would need to use the restroom and could not fit into any, so I would go home, 20 minutes push mind you.

"My mom told him why and had me go in the next day to tell the principal as well. I remember rolling into his office and him turning his chair around and before I could say anything, he says, "What are we suppose to do, change the whole school for one person?" If I'd known what I know today I would have said "Hell yes! and for everyone that comes after me." Their remedy was an out-house that you see in construction sites for restroom accommodations.That experience and many more are what fuel me today," says Ruiz.

Ruiz says that things are much better for Americans with a disability but there's still along way to go.. Ruiz is one of the founders of  the Association for Disabled Americans, a non-profit organization formed November 5, 1995 that still functions today. "I've served as the Vice President or President in all it's years and we have not only brought hotels and shopping malls into compliance but entire cities! It's difficult to just think of one case, or one class action lawsuit that would justify what we have accomplished in the 20 years I've been involved with being an advocate for individuals with disabilities. We have brought 10's of thousands of facilities into compliance throughout the USA and will continue, one facility at a time, one barrier at a time one day at a time, we'll make the change," says Ruiz.

As President of the Association for Disabled Americans it allows Ruiz to represent all disabilities in a lawsuit, not just those that involve a wheelchair user. Ruiz says he also takes into account issues involving the blind and deaf when he's working to get a building into compliance. " I've been a named plaintiff in over 500 cases some that where class action cases, e.g. Publix, Mobil, Amoco, etc. That covers hundreds if not thousands of facilities.

As well Hospitals such as Jackson North and South, city of Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Key West, Miami Gardens, etc. When addressing the cities, that covers all the cities buildings, parks, schools, sidewalks, etc. Hence, we make the biggest difference for the population when we are victorious in those cases," says Ruiz.

But one of the biggest problems Ruiz often encounters, is on the surface, a building will often look compliant when it's actually no where near where it needs to be.

"You'll see on the surface that everything looks compliant.You see the accessible parking spaces, signage, lowered counters, etc. You'll then go into the place of business, could be a shopping center, hospital, school, restaurant, hotel and everything looks well and good as far as access is concerned. But then you need to use a restroom, or check into that 5 star $500.00 a night hotel room or have to stay at a hospital for a few nights to the only find out you cannot even use a bathroom without jumping through hoops. It's a practice that businesses take that will only address those ADA issues that are on the surface and side-step the "internal"issues. Or I'll get, "we never have anyone come here in a wheelchair." I always say with a smile, "that's because you're not compliant," says Ruiz.

Ruiz says despite making tremendous strides when it comes to protecting the rights of those with disabilities there is still a long way to go. "I'm still active as an advocate and and will continue to be for as long as it may take to bring access as well change in perception of those with disabilities. I'm not only addressing physical barriers, such as ramps, restrooms, parking and the likes but addressing program access and social acceptance of those individuals with disabilities. I do this by sharing real life experiences in short stories and blogs on several social medias. Such as Facebook and online magazines,"says Ruiz.

For Ruiz the future looks bright. He recently moved from Florida to Alabama to live closer to his brother and family members. He says being in that motorcycle accident 33 years ago is something that he's turned into a positive and given him opportunities he could have only dreamed of otherwise.




Ruiz with his daughter (Jessica Jo Ruiz)

"The irony of this for me is that barriers that I've encountered throughout life, have open doors for me that may of otherwise may not have presented themselves to me. I'm a proud father, I've met President Clinton, I met and became friends with General Norman Shwartzcoft, I've been in movies, commercials and done more photo-shoots as a fashion model than I can remember. Nationally ranked tennis player, starting point guard and team captain for the Miami Heat wheels, all this and much more, all because I refused to let barriers win!," said Ruiz.

And because he refused to lose Daniel Ruiz has won and so have millions of Americans across the country.



Comments

  1. I have had the pleasure of knowing Danny His two bothers Jr. & Alex and His Wonderful Mother/ Grandma of his & Seven Other Grandchildren For Many Years !! I Watched Danny Ruiz Play Football at Our neighborhood Optimist Club as Running Back For the 13-15 yr.olds' I Have Seen his tenacity in being the First Individual Demonstrating The Nerve Synapse Upright Human Walking Mechanism. He Had To Train For Months To Stand Upright To Walk With Crutches Moving Under His Own Man Power !!! Thank You Mike For Writing Dannys' Story !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. C, for the kind words. It was a pleasure working with Mike and now watching him develop into a great young man. Lots of memories from that little town we call Winston Park.

      Delete
  2. My uncle is an amazing man. He has always has always inspired me. Love you bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother is an awesome guy. Love you bro

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

President Of Association For Disabled Americans Says No On Donald Trump Vote

Daniel Ruiz say Donald Trump is not complying with ADA  Bring up the name Donald Trump to Daniel Ruiz, current President of Association for Disabled Americans and the emotions start to boil. "I cannot say that Trump as a "developer" violates the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, he shows a practice of discriminating those with disabilities when it comes to access to his buildings," says Ruiz. Ruiz says Trump has been sued over 8 times for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. In fact Ruiz sent me this article from The Huffington Post that recently covered a story about Trump being sued at least 8 times for discriminating those with disabilities at several of his facilities.  Many may remember Trump mocking a reporter who had questioned his policies during the primaries. That  reporter was Serge F. Kovaleski's.  "Trump, without even batting a lash makes fun of Mr. Kovaleski's disability and one would expect an apology fo

Morning News Brief 4/28/20

Tri-Cities/State/Region Coronavirus latest numbers https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/coronavirus-daily-news-updates-april-27-what-to-know-today-about-covid-19-in-the-seattle-area-washington-state-and-the-nation/ Some fishing, hunting and parks will reopen https://www.tri-cityherald.com/sports/outdoors/article242328231.html Cities and Counties across Washington to receive 300 million dollars https://www.nbcrightnow.com/coronavirus/gov-inslee-distributing-300-million-for-local-governments-to-recover-after-covid-19-outbreak/article_164ccbf0-8911-11ea-8bd0-7f692bddc3e9.html The race for making a vaccine is on https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/in-race-for-a-coronavirus-vaccine-an-oxford-group-leaps-ahead/ Community members create local non-profit resource list website https://keprtv.com/news/local/community-members-help-create-website-to-support-local-non-profits Spokane leaders ponder way to boost business once doors open again